As in the passage focus below in Luke 12:33. We are to “Sell our possessions and give to charity”; so that in doing so, we “make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
Luke 12 NASB (New American Standard Bible)
16 And He told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man was very productive. 17 And he began reasoning to himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?’18 Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.”’20 But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night [i]your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?’21 So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”22 And He said to His disciples, “For this reason I say to you, [j]do not worry about your [k]life, as to what you will eat; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.…30 For [n]all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things.31 But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you.…33 “Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys.34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
God Knows and Cares. Vs. 1-12. The story before this Jesus taught the people that everything done in the dark will come to light. Jehovah, the all knowing God – Omniscient God. Vs. 6-7. He knows the number of hair on your head; you are more valuable than sparrows.
Vs. 4-5. He also says do not be afraid of those that kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Jesus warns us to instead fear the one who can destroy both; kill and throw into hell.
Vs. 8-12. Confess Christ before men. Jesus Christ has got your back as seen below:
* He says if you confess Him before men, He will confess you before the angels of God. How awesome is that!
* When you appear before the authorities, do not worry about your defense and what you will say coz God’s spirit will teach you what to say.
Vs. 13-15. Covetousness Denounced. Christ warns against greed of any form; your life is not made up of your possessions.
- vs. 16-20. Rich fool. When growing up as I matured in Christianity, I used to believe that God was very mean. How can he stop someone from living and yet the guy has worked so hard to achieve his wealth. It is not until recently in life that I got a revelation that it is never about you and me, but always about God. You and me were created for worship; to worship and glorify Him in our work and walk of life.
How many of us are like the rich fool? Always wanting it to be about you and you and you. You want to be blessed with that top of the range vehicle so you can gloat at your neighbor. You want that promotion so that you can show others how good you are, that in a span of less than a year you have been elevated. Always wanting recognition for something small or any small feat. Jesus tells of how pride is dealt with by God. He humbles the proud and exalts the humble.
- Vs. 21. Wealth is not a sin or bad. Jesus says that it is okay to have wealth (after all He is the source of wealth – Deuteronomy 8:18 but remember that the LORD your God gives you the power to gain wealth) but puts a DISCLAIMER; be rich towards God as you store up your wealth.
- Vs. 22-23, 27-29. Do not worry. Jesus assures as that He is Jehovah Jireh – God our provider. You cannot add an hour to your life by worrying; you have no control over somethings but God has TOTAL CONTROL of the situation.
Have you let Jesus take total control of your life? Or are you still worried about what will happen to your contract at the end of this month or after the retreat? Are you still holding on to worries about your where your next month’s rent is going to come from? Or where you going to get money to pay for that mortgage loan or loan you took 5 or so years ago? Are you worried about what your neighbor has, that they seem to be prospering and you just stagnating and feel like God has forgotten you. DO NOT despair coz He says He will provide!
Please do not sleep the whole day and abstain from work thinking that God will provide (on the contrary He detests laziness as Paul highlights in 2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.). You work and trust Him for provision!
- Vs. 30-31. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God. As I was reminded jana during the service, let us not be more interested in growing intellectually, financially, socially, etc (not that they are not important) but even as Jesus said – seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you – let us seek SPIRITUAL GROWTH
- Vs. 32 Again you are reminded, Do not be afraid, for your Father in heaven has given you His Kingdom – gladly.
- Vs. 33-34. This reminds me of the scripture on – it is more blessed to give than to receive. So let us be cheerful givers. Let us invest more in Heaven, where our treasure is. Make a difference in someone’s life today – that is a deposit you have made in your account in heaven. Make someone happy or smile, or give to someone in need (someone who has no capacity to give back and is in real need).
- Matthew 6 (Jesus teaches His disciples on storing up for themselves treasures in heaven where vermin and other ‘parasites’ won’t get a hold of)
- Matthew 19:21 (Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”)
- Matthew 5:3 (“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.)
- Based on this last scripture, the book of Revelations emphasized on what is awaiting those who are poor in spirit and endure to the end. Revelations 2:9 ‘I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich), and the blasphemy by those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. 10 ‘Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
- 1 Timothy 6:19 (In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.)
- James 2:5Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
- 1 Corinthians 1:27 (But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.)
- James 1:12 (Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
- 1 Peter :A Living Hope3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fades not away, reserved in heaven for you, 5who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.…
- Matthew 25: 34“Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
- Proverbs 8:17“I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me. 18“Riches and honor are with me, Enduring wealth and righteousness.…
- 1 Corinthians 2:9but just as it is written, “THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD, AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN, ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.”
- 1 Peter 5:4And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.
Dear Lord, may I value the things that are of the Kingdom more than of the earth. I am a sojourner in this land and I pray that even as I enjoy your blessings on earth, may I invest in heavenly things. Teach me to number my days on earth that I may live out your purpose for me. Amen